Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Little History Behind my Lil Whiskey Jug

A few days ago I posted a picture of a jug that I came across while on one of my many trips to my favorite stores and markets.  This is the original picture I posted:
I have since done some research and taken some better pictures: 


What an interesting find I have!  Turns out this is from pre-Prohibition period, sometime between 1866 and 1920.  It is from the Hayner Distilling Co. (it changed variations of the name several times over the years until Prohibition stopped production) which eventually became a nationally recognized mail order whiskey business.
This particular jug is the smaller approximately 8 1/2 inch size and I believe this is one of the rarer, harder ones to find.  Or at least that is what I have read in my brief research.  
How lucky was I to find one in such fantastic condition?!
If anyone is interested I do have it listed on eBay. I know, I should probably keep such an awesome find! But as I said in the original post, I collect glass liquor bottles and I've decided to keep so many of my other finds...I think my hubby is ready to put a limit on my "finding"!  


I would love to hear about your interesting or unique finds too!  Feel free to share!
Happy "Finding"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment