Tuesday, July 17, 2012

New Favorite Find

I would say this is my favorite find but I have so many and I know I'll find something else that will become a favorite.  But I absolutely love paintings and beautiful frames.  Even better when it's a steal a of a deal!!  So one of (well, two) of my latest finds was two reproduction paintings from the artist Martin Fromhold.  One is "Flowers in the Summer" and the other is "Summer Bouquet".  I have searched and searched and can find absolutely no information at all on this Martin Fromhold.  The only thing I've come up with is a description with a link on Google that reads, "There was a passport application for Martin Fromhold, of Campbell Co, Kentucky, requesting a passport to travel to Baden, filed 6 August, 1858."   That would have been from about the same time period so I'm assuming it's the same Martin Fromhold.  I would love to find out more about him though.  


The best thing about this find...I paid $5 for each painting!!  The poster prints unframed are going for about $60.00 a piece on eBay and elsewhere on the internet.  I haven't found the perfect place for them in my house yet but I'm thinking I want them to go in my office.

8 comments:

  1. Quick update on these paintings. Shortly after I posted this the ceiling in our dining room started to open up from a leak in the roof (I swear this stuff follows me, the ceiling in my living room fell in just as we were moving from Indy) Anyway, as I was putting everything back together and back in its place I decided to rearrange a bit. I ended up putting these paintings above the buffet and they look fantastic! You can see a little bit of them in a picture in the September post about the purses and the nightstands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have the same painting but unfortunately i paid 20 dollars so you got a real bargain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $20 is still not bad considering what I've seen the prints going for on eBay and other sites! I'm still in disbelieve that I got mine so cheap though.
      And I am still completely in love with these paintings (and the frames!). Love seeing them every time I walk into my dining room! :)

      Are you an avid collector, thifter? If so, do you have a website, blog? I would love to see some of your finds!

      Delete
  3. Does anyone know the value of an original Martin Fromhold oil painting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe I have an original Martin Freehold. Have no idea what it is worth. Can you help?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ran across your blog in researching my family’s genealogy. The Martin Fromhold whose passport application you found (my gr, gr gr uncle) was actually born in 1818 and these paintings, I believe, date from around 1820.
    They were more likely painted by his uncle, Joannes Martinus Fromhold, born in Krautheim, Germany in 1789 or possibly even his grandfather, Joannes Martinus Fromhold, born in Krautheim in 1754. I, too would love to know more about these beautiful paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have both painting and they are in the original frames, signed and dated, where can I sell them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have those two pictures how much would they appraise for

    ReplyDelete